The Sudanese Environment Conservation Society is a national voluntary association that works to protect the environment to achieve sustainable development through popular participation. The Society was established in 1975. In the eighties of the last century, when the environmental problems in Sudan exacerbated; the membership of the society increased and its branches spread all over the states of Sudan. The Sudanese Environment Conservation Society aims to establish a public environmental program to address the growing environmental issues and problems in Sudan. To achieve this goal, the society sought to achieve a societal movement through its various branches (113 branches). It also sought to attract all sectors of society, especially women and youth, to actively participate in addressing environmental issues. Through this continuous activity, the society was able to establish effective partnerships at the national, state and grassroots levels, and with donors.
We look for Sudan enjoying a safe and healthy environment, achieving sustainable development and a lasting peace.
SECS works towards environmental rehabilitation, sound management, rational utilization of natural resources, and elimination of harmful environmental violations and malpractices.
- Our Values:
Accountability, Transparency, Credibility, Collaboration, Gender Equality, Sustainable Justice, Diversity, Peace, youth involvement, voluntarism ethics and Creativity.
- Overall Goal: To conserve the environment and address climate change impacts to achieve sustainable development.
- Strategic Goals:
- To work on environmental protection and environmental sanitation with the aim of achieving sustainable development, positive advocacy, and addressing any action that may cause deterioration on the environment in accordance with the scientific standards and specifications and environmental laws.
- To Spread and develop the environmental awareness among citizens and their various organizations, and activate their participation in preserving and developing the environment.
- To build and develop links and connections through coordination, cooperation, and networking with the relevant authorities at the local, regional and global levels.
- To encourage scientific research and theoretical and applied studies that aim to protect the environment and maintain its balance, and to write the natural history of the Sudanese environment.
- To encourage and nurture positive environmental initiatives.
- To work towards achieving peace, ending wars and conflicts and addressing their effects, especially those related to natural resources and their uses.
- To Spread and consolidate the inclusive concept of sustainable development and achieving of it as a process targeting all sectors of society and aiming at justice and the fulfillment of all material and immaterial needs, with consideration of preserving of resources and guaranteeing the rights of future generations.
- To Protect and promote the human rights, especially the environmental, and fight poverty and its negative effects on the environment.